My mouth is watering just blogging about these delicious muffins! I had saved a recipe by The Café Wellness that included the incredible combo of bacon, banana & chocolate and I really wanted to try them. Then last night as I was scrolling through Facebook I came across a question “What is your favourite flavour combo?” I quickly added my 5 cents worth replying “Bacon, Banana & Maple Syrup”. And after collecting my monthly supply of Nitrate-Free, Free-Range Bacon from Dawson Valley Free Range yesterday how could I not make a batch of my own. I planned to use maple syrup instead of honey and leave out the chocolate chips as I thought they would make the muffins too sweet!
2/3 Cup Coconut Flour
1/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
1 Teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of Himalayan Rock Salt
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Coconut oil
3 Organic Eggs
1 Teaspoon Organic Vanilla Essence
1/2 cup Almond Milk
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
5 Short Cut Nitrate Free bacon rashes
2 Ripe Bananas Mashed
1. Heat oven to 180 degree (c). Line a muffin tray with papers.
2. Dice bacon into bite size pieces and cook over medium heat until cooked half-way through stirring regularly.
3. Mash bananas in a small bowl and put aside.
4. Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
5. Whisk eggs in a small bowl and put aside.
6. When bacon is cooked add all wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a metal spoon until well combined.
7. At this point my 5 year old injected her opinion “these look really good mum, but they would be even better with some chocolate chips in them”. So in went 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Next time I would add half a cup of toasted walnuts at this stage. Fold in gently.
8. Divide between 12 muffin cases and bake for 18-20 min or until slightly golden. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in tin and then eat while still warm. AMAZING. They freeze and would be great for breakfast with nuts instead of the choc chips… Enjoy!